EXPERIENCE + EDUCATION
Scroll down, or get in touch for a detailed resume.
• Writing in the New York Times “India Ink”, Indian Express, Biblio, The Wire, Outlook Traveller, National Geographic Traveller, Open, Art India, Food & Wine, Departures, Ink Publishing, brownpaperbag.in and others. Contributed research and writing to Fodor’s Essential India and Time Out’s India: Perfect Places guidebooks.
• Editing and fact-checking for Departures, Black Ink, Random House, Indagare Travel and others, including blogs, academic papers and literary manuscripts.
National Geographic Traveller India
Consulting Editor providing editorial support for commissioned stories.
Doris Lessing Biography
Primary Researcher for the authorized Doris Lessing biography, to be written by Patrick French.
As Associate Editor, I commissioned and edited long-form reportage and opinion—including narrative journalism on politics, policy, the media and the arts. Took on various managerial responsibilities on my own initiative, and a greater editorial role when senior editor and arts editor positions fell vacant.
Time Out Delhi
As Editor-in-Chief, I commissioned and edited all content including text, illustration and photography for the globally branded city magazine (fortnightly, 90-200 pages). Managed sizable editorial staff; worked with sales and marketing teams; reported and wrote, including a regular column. (Bookended by brief roles as Managing Editor and Consulting Editor to previous and successive Editors-in-Chief.)
American Express Publishing
Research Assistant for Travel + Leisure and Departures magazines in New York City.
Columbia University, School of Journalism
• M.S., Magazine Concentration; coursework in digital and social media, radio, video, beat reporting, narrative style writing.
• Thesis on low-income rental housing, predatory lending and foreclosure in the Bronx.
• Designed website and cover of class publication The New York Review of Magazines (2010 edition).
Time Out Delhi
Helped launch new magazine. Anchored all visual arts coverage as Art Editor; and then took over as Food & Drink Editor. Built contact databases, planned cover story packages; reported on myriad city issues, news and culture; interviewed prominent authors and officials; assisted with copy-editing, layout, proofreading.
Asia Society India Center
As Program Associate, helped launch India chapter of global business, policy, culture platform. Handled publicity, events; coordinated with New York City head office.
The Indian Express
Copy-edited, proofread and designed pages for various editions of one of India’s top English-language dailies as a Trainee Sub-editor.
• B.A. Highest Honors. Major in Sociology & Anthropology; Minor Interpretation Theory; extensive Literature coursework.
• Reported on Kashmir’s tourist economy from Srinagar and New Delhi for undergraduate thesis.
• Semester abroad at St. Stephens College, New Delhi (2003).